21 January 2014

Excerpts from a Sunday Meeting Talk given 29 December 2013

I am well aware many of you have a better understanding of the Atonement than I do and I do not fully understand the Atonement myself.   I hope through the Holy Ghost we can all learn something new that will deepen our understanding of the Atonement and love for our Savior, Jesus Christ, and will give us hope and a sense of direction as we look forward to this coming year.

Knowing we would misuse our agency and we are weak, God provided a way to overcome both of these obstacles. The way to overcome these obstacles is the healing, redemptive, and enabling power of the Atonement.

The Healing Power of the Atonement

Through the Atonement we can be healed from the misuse of agency for others and can be forgiven of our own misuse of agency. And through the Atonement we are given the ability to overcome our weaknesses. Isaiah prophecied of Christ. In Isaiah 53 we learn that Christ, “…is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief…and surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows.

To the people in Gideon, in Alma 7, Alma explains why Jesus Christ suffered all that we have and will feel on an individual basis, “…He shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.”
Christ knows how you feel and can heal you. He beckons us to come unto Him. In Matthew 11 we read the Savior’s invitation, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
I do not know how it works, but I have “found peace unto my soul” as I have let go of the past and turned towards our Savior. The deep gashes that have pierced my soul are being healed. I know that you can be healed as well.
The Redemptive Power of the Atonement
To his son Helaman, Alma the Younger, the wildest of sinners and later prophet shared his experience of the redemptive power of the Atonement. In Alma 36, we read,
“But I was racked with eternal torment, for my soul was harrowed up to the greatest degree and racked with all my sins. Yea, I did remember all my sins and iniquities, for which I was tormented with the pains of hell; yea, I saw that I had rebelled against my God, and that I had not kept his holy commandments.
“And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.
“Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death. And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
“And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain! Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.”
When Enos asked the Lord how his guilt was swept away, the Lord responded, “Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen…wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole.”
Let us put our faith in Christ and do away with that which pulls us away from Him.
The Enabling Power of the Atonement
In his talk,  TheAtonement and the Journey of Mortality, Elder David A. Bednar states, “Help from the Savior is available for the entire journey of mortality – from bad to good to better and to change our very nature.”
The enabling power of the Atonement strengthens us to do and be good and to serve beyond our own individual desire and natural capacity. We are weak and imperfect but Children of God. We have been commanded to become like our Savior, Jesus Christ. Like Nephi, “I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.” In his farewell, King Benjaman tells his people what this prepared way is, “…I say unto you, that there shall be no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent.” The way is Christ.
As we reflect on this past year and look forward to this coming year, I invite you to integrate the healing, redemptive, and enabling power of the Atonement in your goals and daily life more fully. And don’t despair if you fall short. Every second is a new second, so we can keep trying.