13 January 2014

Letter Home: 12 January 2014

I  gave out my first English Book of Mormon!

My companion and I were talking to two ladies. They were not interested but two American Marines stopped us. They asked where we were from. We explained who we were and [carried the conversation from a] free Japanese class on base to our message: That God lives, is our loving Heavenly Father, and that we can live with our family again after death. I asked if that would be something they would be interested in learning about. One said he was going to Thailand pretty soon but when he came back, he might be interested. I asked, “Can I give you something to read between now, when you are in Thailand, until you come back?”

“Sure. What is it?”

I explained the Book of Mormon and it's promise. He read the last two paragraphs (English- my personal small military one).* They both took Book of Mormons and committed to reading them!

One morning I felt prompted to call people we found who might be interested in learning about the gospel of Christ. So I did. We scheduled two appointments. One…met missionaries before who gave her a Book of Mormon. I invited her to be baptized. When I called later I shared 2 Nephi 32:2-3 with her.

"Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost? Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do."

She committed to read the Book of Mormon.

  *I’m not sure what paragraphs Sister Breksa is referring to.  Most likely, she is saying that the marine read Moroni’s promise. Moroni was the last prophet to write in the Book of Mormon. 
    
 “Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.  And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.  And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.”