31 January 2014

Letter Home: English Class, Christmas Lights & Japanese Plums



Every week we teach English. I get to teach the beginner's class, for some of the students this is their 1st time with English. 

Last transfer (the day missionaries switch to new areas and new missionaries arrive) Sister M and I took the English class students on base to see the tree lightening. We got there late and missed the tree lighting, but we still got free hot cocoa and cookies and saw the tree with lights. 


As we waited one of the students slipped in to speaking Japanese. We talked a little bit about umeboshi, a sour Japanese plum. He and his wife and children came to the Yanai branch (a smaller congregation than a ward) Christmas party. There I spent most of the time talking to his wife in Japanese. One thing we talked about was umeboshi. 


Well, last Saturday at English class he gave me a small package of umeboshi from his wife! She really enjoyed talking with me and thanked me for spending that time with her.  I plan to have my companion take a picture of me trying one and pasting it in a thank you card for them. :)

http://www.axiommagazine.jp/2011/12/16/supai-man/